What is Selenium?
Selenium is an essential trace mineral that supports a healthy body in
many ways. It’s critical for the thyroid gland, supports the immune
system, is essential for metabolic pathways, and soothes redness and
swelling in the body. It’s even important for reproductive health, DNA
production, and eyesight.
As an antioxidant, it helps fight free radicals and might even be called
a super antioxidant because it supports other antioxidants.
One of its most valuable roles is supporting the production of
glutathione peroxidase, a critical antioxidant enzyme that protects the
thyroid and even helps recycle vitamin E and vitamin C into active
scavengers of free radicals.
Global Healing Center’s high-potency selenium capsules are made from
100% certified organic mustard seeds and each serving delivers 200 mcg
of food-derived, vegan-friendly selenium for a highly bioavailable
source your body can use.
The Top 5 Reasons You Need Selenium
1. Powerful Antioxidant
Selenium is an antioxidant that defends against the free radicals that
damage cells and lead to premature aging. Selenium’s antioxidant status
also supports the immune system by helping to create important
2. Thyroid Support
Like iodine, selenium is important for normal thyroid function. It’s
necessary for the production of thyroid hormones; a selenium deficiency
can negatively affect hormone balance and thyroid function. Selenium’s
antioxidant action also helps protect the thyroid from free radicals.
3. Cardiovascular Health
Normal cardiovascular health requires adequate selenium. Selenium can
benefit heart health by soothing oxidative stress and supporting normal
4. Food-Sourced Formula
Nearly every other selenium supplement on the market is produced with
synthetic selenium. Global Healing Center’s selenium extract is
different. It’s a whole food form of selenium extracted from certified
organic mustard seeds. Food sources allow for faster and easier
absorption. Each high-potency capsule delivers 200 mcg of highly
bioavailable, organically sourced selenium.
5. Unparalleled Quality
Global Healing Center’s readily absorbable selenium formula is made in
the USA from globally sourced ingredients at a state of the art
manufacturing facility equipped with all modern equipment that adheres
to cGMP guidelines and has achieved ISO 22000 certification -- the
highest in food safety.
Interesting Facts About Selenium
- Soil levels can vary dramatically from one region to the next.
Generally, people who live in areas with high selenium levels in the
soil enjoy better health.
- Foods reputed to be good sources of selenium include Brazil Nuts,
brewer's yeast, wheat germ, garlic, grains, sunflower seeds, walnuts,
raisins, and seafood.
- A single Brazil nut provides enough selenium to meet the daily requirement for an adult.
- Water is not a significant source of selenium.
- A number of serious health conditions are associated with low selenium levels.
- Selenium concentrations decline with age.
- Selenium deficiency might be associated with a drop in brain function.
- Selenium is more concentrated in the thyroid than any other area of the body.
The Health Benefits of Selenium
- Selenium is one of the body's primary antioxidant enzymes and protects normal cell function by scavenging harmful free radicals.
- Supports normal thyroid and immune function in healthy individuals.
- Has a binding effect to help detoxify metals from the body.
- Encourages normal oxygen levels in the heart.
- Reduces redness and swelling.
- Supports healthy bones and joints.
- Required for the production of prostaglandins that promote healthy blood flow.
- In synergy with vitamin E, selenium supports energy producing cells
The information provided on the pages of this web site are intended as information only and are not a substitute for diagnosis and treatment by a physician or health care provider. If you have a health concern, please seek advise from a physician or health care provider specialized in your area of concern. Do not take if you are pregnant or nursing. These products have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any health condition or disease.